On April 18, Keith and I went to my 39 week ultrasound and appointment. We were excited to get to see our baby boy again and we were ready to find out if I'd made any progress. We soon learned that no, I had not progressed, but the fluid in my placenta had continued to decrease. My doctor recommended an induction and after weighing the pros and cons, we decided to go for it. It took a few seconds for us to realize, though, that she meant for us to go grab our bags and head straight to the hospital! So, we headed home to get our things full of excitement and nerves! Keith was particularly anxious to get back to the hospital, but I managed to convince him to take one last picture.
Then we went to Baptist to have our baby boy!
We got checked into a room quickly and I was given an IV of fluid and Pitocin. Then, all we had to do was wait...and wait...
and watch the monitors. The monitors showed Parker's heart rate and my contractions. Unfortunately, Parker wasn't a fan of Pitocin and as the nurses gradually increased the amount, his heart rate dropped. Keith had left the room to get our bags from the car and returned to the labor and delivery wing just in time to hear a call at the nurses' station that help was needed and nurses running towards my room. That was very scary for both of us! Thankfully, Parker's heart rate returned to a steady, strong pace when I was put on oxygen and taken off the Pitocin temporarily. That happened several times throughout the night.
At about 5:00 a.m. I was ready for an epidural (we'd checked in at 6:00 p.m. the day before). I knew from Day One that I would have one, but I wanted to wait as long as possible because I'd heard that getting an epidural could slow progress. I didn't want to wait so long though that I wouldn't be able to sit still while it was being administered. Keith and my nurse, Elise, were so great and I made it through the process and felt much better when it was all over!
My doctor stopped by to check my progress about 9:00 a.m. At that point, she decided to break my water. Once again, Parker was not a fan of the medicine and his heart rate drastically and immediately dropped so it was back on the oxygen and back off the Pitocin for a little while.
At about 2:00 p.m. my epidural was no longer cutting it, so the anesthesiologist came in to give me a stronger dose. My nurse, Angie (Elise's night shift was long over), decided to check me not long after because my increase in pain was potentially a sign of progress. To everyone's surprise and delight I was fully dilated! My doctor was called and at 3:21 p.m. James Parker Cronin made his debut! Once again, Parker decided to give us a scare by not crying at first. A transition team was called in to check him out, but he quickly adjusted to life outside the womb and was given the okay. After such a long, exhausting and overwhelming night and day, it was love at first sight!
Our First Family Photo- kinda rough and majorly swollen, but so happy!
Not only was I exhausted, overwhelmed and happy, but I was starving! I hadn't had anything to eat in approximately 27 hours. The hospital provided popsicles...
but I also needed a real meal ASAP. Keith's dad kindly brought us hamburgers, sweet potato fries and milkshakes from Elliston Place Soda Shop, which may have been one of the best meals of my life.
While Keith and I ate, Parker was being weighed, measured, etc. He was 6 pounds, 11 ounces and 18.5 inches of perfection.
While we were still in labor and delivery, Keith's family came to meet the newest Cronin.And Keith was in charge of spreading the word to out of town family and friends.
Sometime around/after 8:00 p.m. we were finally transferred upstairs to postpartum where we spent the next day and a half learning how to change a diaper, entertaining visitors and soaking up the moments with our precious new addition.
We are so thankful for our sweet little miracle!









I love to hear other's birth stories! I went into labor on my own, then checked in at the hospital around 7am and Reed was born at 4:24pm that same day, so I cannot imagine what it must have been like to be waiting in the hospital as long as you did. I had to get oxygen too when Reed's HR dropped close to delivery time.
ReplyDeleteI remember it feeling so surreal once he was born. We anticipate the arrival for so many months and when they're actually here, it's hard to believe! Such a whirlwind of events and emotions! Congrats again! :)