Sunday, July 27, 2014

Welcome to the World, Eden!

She's here! And has been for 2.5 weeks! Even though her due date was today!
Over achiever. ;)
At 9:30 p.m. on July 8 as Keith and I were getting ready for bed I felt a "pop." I looked at Keith and said, "I think something just happened." Yup, my water had broken. Keith called my doctor and I called Keith's parents. Keith's dad showed up to spend the night with Parker as we were ready to head to the hospital. Of course I hadn't packed a bag (even though that was on my must get done list the prior weekend. oops.) so we grabbed my camera, our phones, and the car keys and were on our way. After running a few red lights to get to the hospital we discovered that no one else seemed to think our situation was very urgent. We spent the first 15 minutes (at least) in the lobby filling out paperwork. Then we were sent to triage where my history and vitals were taken. Finally we were sent to a labor and delivery room where my history and vitals were taken for the second time. Although I was only having some mild contractions at this point I decided to tell them that I wanted an epidural since I assumed it would take awhile based on our experience thus far. Sure enough, by the time the anesthesiologist arrived my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and I couldn't talk through them. No biggie though apparently because the guy still wanted to take my history again before doing anything. I may have been slightly (or very) rude with my responses, but he seemed to understand. As he was finishing up all the prep stuff he was called to another room. Another mom-to-be needed a second dose stat. While he was gone a second anesthesiologist arrived (and I learned the first was a student so I was kinda glad he got called away after all). The new anesthesiologist proceeded to administer my epidural. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it took her several attempts and even then I was only feeling the effects of it on my right side. On my left I still felt every single contraction in its full intensity. And then I realized that Eden was coming soon. My nurse (Elise, who was actually our nurse with Parker!) confirmed that I went from 3 to 9 cm in an hour or less. Everyone started running around and my doctor was called, but Eden wasn't waiting around! She was born at 12:58 am on July 9, 2014, weighing 6 pounds 4 ounces and measuring 19 inches.
We're so glad you're part of our family, Eden Lynn!

No comments:

Post a Comment